With 3,52,991 fresh Covid cases and 2,812 deaths, India saw a new record high as a deadly second wave sweeps the country. The US, Britain, France, and Germany have offered support as the unprecedented surge overwhelms the country’s hospitals.
Here is your point cheat sheet on this big story:
- This is the fifth straight day that over 3 lakh cases have been recorded by the country. Nearly 10 lakh cases have been reported in the last 72 hours. Top hospitals, helpless patients, and their families and friends have been sending out SOS messages for medical oxygen and medicines on social media.
- The fresh surge takes the country’s caseload to 1.73 crores; 1.95 lakh people have died so far after contracting the virus. Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Sunday said the second wave of coronavirus has “shaken the country”. India’s top priority right now is to fight Covid, the Prime Minister said in his monthly radio address “Mann ki Baat”.
- US President Joe Biden has said the US is “determined to help India in its time of need”. “Just as India sent assistance to the United States as our hospitals were strained early in the pandemic, we are determined to help India in its time of need,” he said in a tweet.
- Life-saving medical equipment, including hundreds of oxygen concentrators and ventilators, are being sent from the United Kingdom to India “to support efforts to prevent the tragic loss of life from this terrible virus,” British Prime Minister Boris Johnson said on Sunday.
- Delhi has extended the lockdown by another week as Covid cases continue to rise. “Coronavirus still continues to wreak havoc in the city. Public opinion is that lockdown should increase. So the lockdown is being extended for one week,” Arvind Kejriwal said yesterday.